Tuesday 15 January 2013

Fun Fact For Today

My british professor informed me today that the word "sweeney" in England is another name for "the flying squad" which was involved in the criminal fraternity (police corruption, robberies, violent crime...stuff like that). There is a british movie that just came out that is called "The Sweeney" which is all about trying to catch the flying squad.
The movie Sweeney Todd is also related to the flying squad. The british have weird ways of naming things....for example:
If a Brit says "I have to go home to see trouble" the word trouble refers to "trouble and strife" and "strife" rhymes with "wife" so in reality they are saying "I have to go home to see my wife".
They have millions of these confusing little sayings!

So anyways, "The Flying Squad" rhymes with "Sweeney Todd" which is why they now refer to the group as "Sweeney".

......so lets just say, I won't be throwing my last name around loosely ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment