Monday 11 March 2013

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Kelcie and I spent this past weekend in Belfast! (don't forget, it was my birthday too!!!!!)
It was so amazing, I always knew I would love Ireland!

Let me just start out by saying this was an interesting trip haha! We started off our journey by catching a train at 11 at night from Grantham (the town right next to mine) to London. Then we stayed in London for about five hours.....yuck. We thought we could stay in a Mcdonalds but unfortunately the one we found wasn't open so we found a little cafe right acrossed the street from the train station we needed which was nice! Knowing me though, I had to go pee during this wait! and europeans don't believe in bathrooms during the day, let alone at night! So this italian guy working at the cafe told me to go to a public restroom a couple blocks down the street....at night....by myself because kelcie had to stay with our stuff. I attempted to go but didn't get very far before coming back lol I told him it was to creepy so he asked his manager if I could use their bathroom downstairs. It's so nice being a young helpless American girl :) So at 6 in the morning we got a train to our airport.....let me add that neither kelcie or I....or any of our friends had heard of this airport before! so we were a little nervous that it didn't exist haha but luckily it did! and we got to belfast just fine! People had told us that it wasn't safe because of riots that were going on. but of course, we didn't see a single thing there. Our taxi driver said it was blown out of proportion. The reason they were unhappy is because half of the city is against being in the European Union and refuses to fly the Union Jack (flag) and the other half is Pro European Union. It was interesting to see though. So we spent the first day buying presents and souvenirs and then the next day....we went to Giants Causeway for my birthday!!!!! So cool! We also went to Dunluce Castle. We were supposed to go to a famous rope bridge called Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge but it was to windy so it was closed :( Instead, our tour guide took us to Bush Mills Distillery. They gave us free whiskey that was 12 years old and apparently "really good". I still need convincing......I took one sip just to try it and YUCK! I literally felt like I was drinking my nail polish remover. Why anyone drinks whiskey I will never know. The next day we walked around the city and saw a lot of markets that had lots of samples for us to try :) it was fun! They really like this stuff called Chutney. It's different but actually pretty tasty. Then we had to leave and go back to England which welcomed us with more snow :( I'm so sick of the snow and cold!!!! On our way home we had booked train tickets at a later time than we needed because the tickets were cheaper and we thought it would take us longer to get to Kings Cross train station. But we ended up getting there super early so Kelcie and I hopped on a train that was not only at the wrong time, but also the wrong company. Needless to say Kelcie was panicking. There are men that come through the cars of the trains to check your tickets to make sure that you're not coming on without paying. When that happened, I made Kelcie go into the bathroom and I told her I'd come knock on the door when he had gone. (If I hadn't done this, the guy would've known something was up by the sheer look of guilt and worry on kelcie's face haha) I've never met such a worrisome person in all of my life!!!! hahahahaha! But of course everything was fine and we didn't get kicked off. But when we got back to Grantham it was dark and we had forgotten that we didn't have a taxi :/ luckily an older couple that had been sitting acrossed from us on the train lived nearby and offered to give us a ride back to the manor. We were so fortunate! God definitely watched over us....there's no way we could've done this trip on our own! haha.
So, that was our trip :)
We had a blast and now we're anxiously waiting to go to Paris!!!!


Giants Causeway

Kelcie!





Bushmill's Distillery


Dunluce Castle

City Center, if you look at the top you might be able to see where a flag is supposed to be flown. Since the city is in a disagreement it doesn't fly either flag

No comments:

Post a Comment